Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Food Review - North Park-Jetti


We were driving under heavy rains and trapped in traffic. We had just attended a forum on “A Call of Righteous Governance” and we were cold, tired, and hungry. Among those of us in the vehicle were my mother, her district superintendent, the Rev. John Manalo, and our former bishop, Bishop Solito Toquero. We are part of a group of three vehicles that agreed to rendezvous at North Park near SM Mall of Asia to have dinner before going home to Cavite.

There are actually two North Parks in along Macapagal Avenue: one at Caltex and the other at Jetti. We were going to the one beside Jetti. These restaurants are on the property of the gasoline station itself.
 


 I find it curious for restaurants to be beside gasoline stations. I usually associate establishments on gasoline stations with convenience stores. If I had a car (which I don’t), I’d go to the gasoline station for fuel, maybe grab a drink and a snack at the convenience store, and maybe use the rest room. I wouldn’t go to the gasoline station to eat at a restaurant.

But times are changing. For example, the convenience store of Petron on the along DaangHari (near my former church appointment) is very well appointed, amply supplied with imported goods (for people living in the posh villages nearby). I once ate at a Shakey’s at Phoenix Oil at along Molino Road: the gasoline station also had a Mini-Stop.



North Park is a Chinese food restaurant, but more upscale than, say, Chowking. We were greeted at the door by a crew member saying “Ni hao” (Hello). (I’m tempted to lecture about Mandarin now, but maybe not.)  At the table, we were given some hot tea, on the house.


The food comes in big servings, good for a small group. We had China Chicken (half chicken for Php 278), Yang Chow (Php 188), Special Toasted Noodles (Php 278) Sweet and Sour Lapu-lapu Fillet (Php 278).

Overall, the taste of the food was subtle, not overpowering. The China Chicken comes with a tasty sauce. The Yang Chow was very delicious with its combination of chopped vegetables and meat. The Toasted Noodles came stiff, but when it was mixed with the rich sauce that came with it, it softened. It had plenty of vegetables, seafood, and meat in it. I like the sauce of the Sweet and Sour Fillet: I kept putting it on my rice.


I’m quite surprised that now you can get fine food at a gasoline station. I wonder what’s next? Pulling up the gasoline station for a black-tie dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment