Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tech Review - ZTE MF70 3G WiFi Modem


 I have been looking for a pocket WiFi modem to fulfill my mobile (as well as non-mobile) Internet needs. My first mobile modem was Huawei’s E1553 USB dongle, which is capable of surfing the Internet using (from fastest to slowest) 3G, HSDPA, W-CDMA, and GPRS. I actually have two: one from Globe Tattoo and another from Smart Bro. (I had to buy two because Globe was faster at work while Smart at home. All you need to do is to insert a SIM card into the USB stick, plug it into a USB port, and click “Connect” on the on-screen dashboard. However, it could only connect to one device at a time—the computer it was plugged in.



I took a look at the pocket WiFi devices sold by Smart and Globe (click on the links to see the respective networks' products). Both of them offer devices like the Alcatel One Touch Y580Y. It’s basically a “headless” mobile phone with an LCD screen, a battery pack, and slots for the SIM card and the memory card (no keypad for texting or dialing).  But I found it prohibitively expensive: a postpaid plan can cost more than one thousand pesos a month while a prepaid pack costs around four thousand pesos up front. Plus, these units are SIM-locked to their respective carriers so cannot insert a SIM card from another network. That would mean I would have to buy two wireless models! I simply couldn’t afford it.

However, the greatest discoveries are often born out of serendipity. I was going around SM Hypermart Bacoor one time when I happened upon a kiosk of a certain local mobile phone seller (I forgot--gotta check) and a small box caught my eye.

It was a USB dongle; but unlike other USB modems, this one serves as a WiFi hotspot!

The staff members were very accommodating and friendly. They showed me that they are using the very same device, which was plugged into a USB charger that comes with any mobile phone. They patiently answered all my questions and even demonstrated the product by having me connect using my Android phone. To my surprise, the connection was very fast. Satisfied with the product’s performance, I purchased the unit.

The modem was package in an small, unpretentious box; so there is not much to write about unboxing it. The kit includes the modem and an instructions leaflet. That’s it.

In order to insert a SIM card (and/or a Micro SD card), one needs to snap off the plastic side cover. At first I was afraid of breaking the side cover but it does hold up to repeated opening and closing. (With a memory card inserted, the stick can also be used as a USB thumbdrive.)

It is truly plug-and-play (not plug-and-pray, hoping that it will work). Just insert any SIM card, plug it to an outlet using a cell phone USB charger or plug it directly to a USB port and voila! you’re ready to go. When connecting for the first time, you will be asked to enter a passkey that is supplied with the unit. (This also keeps the neighborhood kids from leeching off some free Internet.) No dashboard that will appear on the screen; instead your browser will be directed to a homepage where you can connect and tweak any settings (like change your passkey).

Since it doesn’t have its own battery pack, the modem needs to be plugged to a power source for it to work on the go. When I am about I plug it to my CDR-King Powerbank (also reviewed on this blog) and I’m ready to be a walking WiFi hotspot.


My WiFi router connected to a USB hub connected to my powerbank. Now I can enjoy wireless Internet at Jollibee. :)
I first field-tested during the elections last May 14. I plugged the device to my powerbank and placed it inside a small sling bag. My brother and I were able to while away our boredom by surfing using our mobile phones while waiting our turn to vote.


My WiFi router attached to my powerbank inside my sling bag. And that's a tin DVD case of Jason Statham to stiffen my bag.

Another test came in the way of an outing with my (former) co-teachers. As we were travelling from Cavite to Laguna I surfed to my heart’s content using my Android tablet. They thought my tablet comes with a SIM card until I showed them the modem in my sling bag. At the resort, I plugged the device to the wall and shared the passkey with anyone I with a smartphone or tablet. We all enjoyed the fast Internet connection. I was even able to access the Internet on my phone while in the pool! (The phone is protected by a waterproof case I bought in a recent trip to Palawan.)

I am pretty happy with the ZTE MF70. The only downside is that it does not have its own power. And it seems to suck up power from my powerbank pretty fast. (I have since learned to put the modem in a side pocket where it can be ventilated—it uses less power that way.)


The ZTE MF1 in action: Plugged to a standard USB charger.
* * *

Shortly after I brought the WiFi modem that I discovered that Cherry Mobile has released a WiFi USB dongle-cum-phone called the MF1 (click link to see the item on the Cherry Mobile website). It’s NOT an Android phone with tethering capabilities. It’s a very small, single-SIM mobile phone which can function as a WiFi hotspot. I’m wondering why it isn’t as popular as it should. I once checked it out at a Cherry Mobile kiosk and nobody seems to be noticing it!


Image courtesy of Cherry Mobile via AskHideki.Com.
The CM MF1 is around Php 2,000—about the same price as the ZTE MF70. Since it’s a fully-functioning phone, it could use its own battery when surfing on the go. I have been kicking myself that I didn’t discover this first, but oh well. I console myself with the fact of the phone battery’s small capacity, which is nothing compared with my 5,000 mA powerbank. I keep telling myself that I don’t need it.

Keep telling yourself that, darling.

(For reviews of the CM MF1, checkout Technoodling, WalkingCuriosity, and AskHideki.)

30 comments:

  1. Hi, im planning of buying this ZTE mf70 too. May I ask how the connection is? I have a globe tattoo sim and a sun broadband sim which I can both use with this. And i am planning to connect my phone and laptop on it at the same time. Is the speed fast enough? My work requires that I stay online the whole day and I want to ditch my smart broadband for this.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sam. Yes, the speed is good enough: 39 mbps at the time of this writing. In my experience, I was able to connect up to five devices at the same time: a netbook, cell phones, and a tablet. I hope this helps. God bless!

      Delete
    2. Hi, one more question. Does it heat up if used the whole day (about 12 hrs)? I am currently using my Android phone as a wi-fi hotspot and I pity my phone coz it heats up a lot and the battery drains fast. I hope this device can handle the abuse :) thanks.

      Delete
    3. That is indeed an issue with Android phones used as hotspots. They tend to overhead because receiving 3G signals and broadcasting WiFi takes a lot of power. (Oh well, Android has some power issues too, particularly Gingerbread and below.)

      Yes, the MF70 does heats up--but only sometimes. I observe when it heats up, the WiFi broadcasting gets compromised a bit. What I do is just unplug it, wait for it to cool down, and plug it again. I don't know why it overheats. But there are a number of times I leave it plugged to a USB charger overnight and it isn't hot the following morning. I hope this helps. God bless!

      Delete
  2. hi... Sir, im interested to buy ZTE MF70.....I just want to know if this device can provide internet connection at computers that don't have wifi......I mean... if you plug the zte mf70 directly to usb port of a computer, the computer can access the internet without using wifi and this device will become a wifi hotspot....cause i have 1 desktop computer, 1 laptop, and 1 android phone.....please let me know........thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sir. The MF70 does NOT work like a USB modem (e.g. Smart Bro, Globe Tattoo). It only uses USB to get power. You still need WiFi to access the Internet. Laptops and Android phones usually have WiFi. For your desktop, I think you need a WiFi card and antenna for your desktop. Thanks for asking. God bless!

      Delete
    2. It actually works as both usb modem ang wifi hotspot sir michael.
      To use as a usb modem, you have to install the software that comes with the device(just like installing the software of the globe tattoo or smart bro).
      ZTE MF70 it quite easier to use than the other. ^_^

      Delete
    3. Hedge, Thanks for commenting. No, it does not work like a USB modem. When you plug it into a computer and install the software, it just opens the UI (user interface) on your browser. And your computer still needs a WiFi antenna to access the Internet using the ZTE MF70.

      Delete
    4. sir, it actually works. I've tried it on my desktop pc. :)

      Delete
  3. wow this is amazing.... sana po may video review ka kung panu gamitin... working pa rin po ba ito as of this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarisa, I'm sorry I don't do video reviews/tutorials yet. Yes, it's still working a year in service! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi! How can you register globe or smart promos with this one? for example, Unlisurf? Sorry haven't use any portable wifis :( Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaira, I was not able to write about that in my review. To register to a data promo, you can write and send a text message using the device's Web UI (user interface, which is opened using your browser). But what I do is to insert my SIM into my old Smart Bro USB stick, register to a promo using the dashboard, and THEN reinsert the SIM into the ZTE MF70. It's kind of a hassle but it works for me.

      Delete
  5. Bought this device today (php1400) after reading this review. So far I' impressed with its performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this review had been helpful to you, thank you. God bless!

      Delete
    2. walang kwnta yan kakabili kolang wala pang isang bwan nag loloko na pag nag browse ka laging nwawalan ng net kahit sa wifi nawawalan ng net pag nag browse aanhin mo wifi neto qng hnd k naman makapag browse kala ko nid lang ng reset gnwa kona pero ganun padn nung una ang bilis bilis un pala hanggang umpsa lang sayang lang pera dto npaka walang kwnta

      Delete
    3. Kalma lang, Yenyen... Medyo may problema ako ngayon sa device ko. Madalas na siyang mag-overheat saka hirap nang makasagap sa bahay namin. Pero sa school o ibang lugar OK naman. Either bili na ako ng broadband SIM talaga o maghanap ng ibang pwesto sa bahay namin kung saan malakas ang signal. God bless!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just want to ask if i can used regular sim or should it be a broadband sim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a regular SIM card right now so yes, you can use a regular SIM card. I don't know if the device's performance would be improved using a broadband SIM.

      Delete
  8. where can I buy this? I've checked through "lazada" and it cost 1,900. Is it compatible with my mac OS X if i'm going to use it as a USB Dongle? Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought this from an electronics store called "Bo+Ma", which can usually be found in SM malls. I don't have any Apple devices so I don't know if it will work with Mac. But it's not a USB dongle, it's a WiFi router which draws power from USB. God bless!

      Delete
  9. Sir, ung slot sa gilid, is for external antenna?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told it's a slot for an external antenna. But for what--for boosting receiving or transmitting--I do not know. And I don't know where to buy the antenna.

      Delete
  10. Sir Adam Hue,

    Naiintindihan ko naman. Saka Bisaya naman ang late dad ko. ^_^ Nangyayari sa akin yan. Napapansin ko nangyayari yun pag nag-o-overheat ang unit. Medyo kakainbang remedyo, pero ang ginagawa ko ay balutin yung unit sa basang wet tissue. Kaya wet tissue ang gamit ko kasi kahit basain ko ulit ng tubig di siya napupunit. Sana nakatulong. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i need help on my MF70. i already install the driver w/Smart sim. I know that the stick is already working the lights are blinking blue. But the problem is i cannot see a dashboard on my stick, only the icon. Once i double click web site m/home appears. I cannot access any. Please help

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same situation. I can't access the webIU

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anyone knows the WEBIU password?
    thanks Po
    0919-992-0872

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Meron pa ba nabibilhan nito? Pa-advise kung saan meron.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How does the ZTE MF70 3G WiFi Modem compare to other similar devices in terms of speed and connectivity? greeting Telkom University

    ReplyDelete