Saturday, March 9, 2013

Food Review - Mafe Ihaw-Ihaw



Back when I was a young seminarian, my cousin and I would use to have dinner at a honky-tonk barbecue stand under an overpass in front of a mall. When we would get bored with the food at the refectory, we would take a short jeepney ride from Union Theological Seminary, Cavite to Robinson's Place DasmariƱas to Mafe Ihaw-Ihaw.

A view from the ihaw-ihaw.
Mafe Ihaw-Ihaw is nothing more than a shack built under an overpass along Aguinaldo Highway. It has a corrugated tin roof (read: yero) supported by some two-by-two's. A long fluorescent lamp provides ample illumination. There used to a long table cover with linoleum where customers eat. A single long bench stands behind the table. There are a couple a plastic tables with several Tupperware containers where the barbecue is stored. The food is cooked on an open charcoal grill. The ihaw-ihaw is operated by Kuya Roel and his wife. It is named after their pretty daughter, who at that time was in high school.


For the uninitiated, barbecue in the Philippines is not just pork cubes (with an obligatory piece of fat at the end) skewered on a stick. We also use other "spare parts" like pork intestines (both big and small), ears, blood, and what-not. There are also chicken intestines, heads, gizzard, and blood. There's hardly anything Filipinos won't eat.


When we get there, my cousin and I would order several stick of barbecue. I would get pork barbecue; but also order pork intestines because of its intriguing taste and pig's ears because it's crunchy and tough at the same time. We would then partake of our feast with one or two (or more...) cups of rice. My style of eating is removing all of the meat on the sticks and soaking it in a bowl filled brown vinegar, chopped onions and sili labuyo (reputedly among the hottest peppers on the planet). We would eat our barbecue and rice with our fingers (read: nakakamay)--the traditional way Filipinos eat. Now, this is the true essence of "finger-lickin' good"! Finally, the meal is washed down with a bottle (or two) of soft drinks.

One time, Kuya Roel said while we were having dinner, "Pastor, mawawala po muna kami ng two weeks. Magbabakasyon muna kami sa Batangas. (We'll be gone for a couple of weeks. We're going to spend a vacation in Batangas)". I said, "Sure, sige. Pasalubong, ha? (Sure. Bring me back a souvenir, huh?)". When my cousin and I went back, Kuya Roel went to their home and retrieved his gift: a balisong (butterfly knife)! (Batangas is famous for its balisongs, also called "bente-nuebes"). The balisong was absolutely beautiful. The blade is forged from dark steel and very sharp. The handle is made of brass and--surprise!--deer antler! (I hardly use it: bringing it with me might attract dangerous situations.)

My cousin and I would sometimes bring our friends with us. Once, we brought along Zion and Keith, a couple of young people at the seminary and our sparring partners. (I don't ever recall if my cousin has ever brought along his girlfriend, now wife.)

* * *

One time I found myself standing across Robinson's DasmariƱas and a thought entered my head: Hey, why don't I give Kuya Roel a visit? There have been times when I would pass by their stand and we would wave hello to each other. Why don't I have dinner there now, just for good times' sake?
Kuya Roel grilling my order.
There was still the tin roof shack (not the same one in my seminary days--I think it has been demolished a few years back). It was not as bright as before--only a small white bulb provides dim lighting. Kuya Roel and I greeted each other warmly ans we catched up with each other. Their daughter is married and is now finishing nursing school. I said that I'm now an English instructor in a university here in Cavite. We also reminisced the past days when my cousin and I used to eat there.
My meal is ready!
Mafe Ihaw-Ihaw is not exactly for the squeamish type. But if you want an authentic experience with Filipino street food, places like Mafe Ihaw-Ihaw is for you.

* * *
While I was eating, I posted that I was eating at the barbecue stand in front of Robinson’s via Facebook mobile. A student of mine, who was apparently nearby (and also on Facebook mobile) read my post and also ate there shortly after I've left.


1 comment:

  1. hehe.. nakakatuwa naman si cza.. anyways, i never knew there was such a store there. thanks for the info sir. will try eating there next time. :)

    http://rzzzp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete